Whole body awareness is the first step in creating a fusion of physical, mental and emotional energy
Spiritual awareness is really about integrating the two duality forces which exist in many forms and on various levels: the Yin & Yang, the passive &active, the essence & form, spirit & matter – more to the point, body & soul.
Once you are aware of the inherent polarity you can begin to understand that as we develop one aspect, spiritual awareness (the soul) or the mind, we must also develop the other complimentary force, the body in order to maintain harmony and balance in our lives; and to strengthen the connection between body and soul.
Let’s focus on body and soul. The more you bring your awareness to your body, the more you are focusing your soul also on the present moment, the here and now. All development happens in the present tense. Awareness development also tarts in the present tense. If you are not present now, how can you be aware?
Placing your attention on your physical body will direct more of your essence (energy, mind, soul, spirit) into your form (physical body); giving you greater awareness on daily basis. It vitalizes your body. You become more “grounded” and more present.
- The mind is an intangible quality, force or energy that has no boundaries; it is connected to ‘all that is’ or the source of all vitality.
- Your body is the “vehicle” through which thoughts, goals, and desires you set for yourself are carried out and are expressed.
- Maintaining your “vehicle” is essential for your overall wellbeing, and helps to enjoy your life’s journey.
- When the two (body & mind) are incompatible, struggle, and dis-ease begin.
Maintaining Body & Soul connection:
- Listening to your body: Begin your day by focusing your attention on your body before you get out of bed.
- Give thanks to the things you take for granted – the bed for giving you comfort, your dreams for being your companion during your night, your feet and your body for allowing you to get out of bed.
- Tune in frequently: throughout the day. Your body works in unison with your mind to help you achieve what you desire, as you navigate your day.
- Honour your body by acting on its requirements. This will help align the forces and the energies you need to start your day. It is like picking up signals through your own antennas that will show you what you need to do whether it is to rest, relax, eat (healthily), exercise, or meditate; keeping you grounded.
- Focus on the now: You can create and shape your own spiritual identity by focusing on the present through listening to your body. It literally helps embody this energy, giving structure and order to your life.
With practice, you will see tangible results. You may still experience ups and downs because this is what life is made of (the dual forces), but you might just experience coming back to your centre much quicker. As Morihei Ueshiba (1883- 1969), the founder of Aikido, said, “It’s not that I don’t get thrown off, I recover so quickly you don’t notice I was away.”
© Sahar Huneidi, 2017
Sahar Huneidi: Author, Columnist, Holistic Therapist & Life Awareness Coach. Helping her clients achieve the life they are meant to live since 1992. Passionate about demystifying the abstract, podcasting & loves Turkish coffee!
Please subscribe to my podcasts on iTunes