For thousands of years Chinese, Indian, and Egyptian healers revered the healing properties of aloe vera, using it to treat a wide variety of ailments. Here in the West, most people have only ever used it to soothe a sunburn. That may be changing now as the pharmaceutical and food industries catch up on the latest research. Most people use aloe gel as a remedy for skin conditions, including burns, sunburn, frostbite, psoriasis and cold sores, but there are a host of other aloe vera benefits.
One of the key active ingredients that distinguishes aloe vera from other plants is acemannon. From the website www.aloecure.com we read: Acemannan is a complex polysaccharide found in the inner leaf gel of the aloe plant. It is the specific component that sets Aloe Vera apart from the 400 other species of aloe plants. Acemannan contains many nutritional qualities and is immensely responsible for all of the health benefits that Aloe Vera offers.
These include the following:
- Helps cells to be more resistant to viruses and pathogenic bacteria
- Improves overall cellular metabolism and functioning
- Promotes healthy inflammation response
- Provides critical lubrication of joints
- Aids in the absorption of water, minerals, and nutrients in the GI tract
- Reduces pain
- Improves vascular flow
- Reduces scarring
- Increases the body’s own production of interferon, interleukins
- Increase the number of antibody forming T-cells in the spleen
- Increases the number and activity of killer T-cell and increase monocyte activity
- Soothes and promotes healing of intestinal disorders such as indigestion, heartburn, hyper-acidity, peptic and udodenal ulcers, colitis, and hemorrhoids
- Promotes healthy kidney function
- Speeds wound healing
- Reduces allergic reactions
- Stimulates bone marrow activity
- Anti-aging properties
- Supports healthy blood pressure
All this in a single plant! Of course there are many ways to use aloe vera, both externally and internally. It can be juiced, added to a smoothie, sliced and rubbed on the skin, taken as an extract in pill or liquid form, and more. It’s important to research the best method, and how often you should take it, for what you are trying to treat. Always make sure you are using fresh, organic plants or companies that feature natural, organic products.