A perfect accompaniment to any dish, I call my greens “nutritional dynamite.” For this dish, I prefer black kale, red Russian kale or collard greens. Feel free to mix and match.
- 2 bunches greens, washed well, chopped and steamed until tender. (If you don’t already own a stainless steel steamer basket, please buy this essential kitchen item.)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced thin
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp. tamari soy sauce
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- salt/coarse grind black pepper, to taste
In a large skillet (I prefer cast-iron), saute the onions until nearly browned. Stir in bell pepper and garlic, and saute a few minutes longer. Next, stir in the steamed greens, season with vinegar, tamari, salt and peppers and serve. Serves 4-6.