Essential oils have long been used for Ayurvedic treatments and aromatherapy, but they are now increasingly popular in Western medicine. Long associated with their calming or soothing qualities, doctors are now treating everything from burns to cancer and diabetes to heart disease with plant based medicine and natural oils. In fact, a recent article in The Atlantic highlights the growing search in the medical community for essential oils to treat staph and other bacteria that have grown antibiotic resistant over the years. Many oils are famous for their anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, but new research indicates that many may have anticancer components as well.
Among the most powerful healing oils:
- Lavender – reduce anxiety and depression, lower blood pressure, treat burns and cuts, anticancer
- Peppermint – improve digestion, reduce stomach pain, treat burns, anticancer
- Eucalyptus, – wound and burn healing, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial
- Frankincense – anticancer, immune system booster, oral health, respiratory ailments
- Myrrh – anticancer, balance hormones, pain relief
- Oregano – burn relief, reduce lung and chest ailments, anticancer, prevent infection
- Clove – antiseptic, antibacterial, treats oral infections and gum disease
- Tea Tree – antiseptic, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory
- Curcumin – anticancer, increase brain function, anti-inflammatory
- Rosemary – increase brain function, stabilize blood pressure
Essential oils can be used in a variety of ways, such as topically, as an infusion, inhaling through steam, on a compress or in your bath, orally, and more. It’s important to read up on what is best for the ailment you are treating.